The following notes are relevant for a Windows 10 based laptop.
To pass the internet from your laptop to an AMBR, you need the following:
- Wifi, cellular, or other internet connection at your laptop
- RJ45 output from a laptop (either through an adaptor or directly from the laptop)
- AMBR, RJ45 capable, and power supply
The process you are about to begin is called “sharing” the internet from your laptop’s internet source to your output.
1. Right-click on your internet access and select Open Network and Internet Settings.
2. Click “Change Adapter Options”
3. Right-click on your internet source and select Status. In the example below, “Wi-Fi” is the internet source on the laptop.
4. In the status window, select Details
5. Make note of the Wi-Fi’s IP address. In this instance, the IP address is 192.168.1.1:
6. Close this Network Connection Details window, and the Wi-Fi Status window below it to return to the Network Connections page
7. Right-click on your internet source and select Properties. In the example below, “Wi-Fi” is the internet source on the laptop.
8. In the Properties window, click on the Sharing Tab
9. Click the checkbox to “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” and select the Ethernet port option available. In the example below, Ethernet 8 is the only option for outputting the shared Wi-Fi internet access.
10. Click on the Settings button.
11. You will now use the Add button to add two new options under the Services Window
12. Complete this page with the following inputs:
- Description of Service: Webapp
- Name or IP address…: Enter IP address from the earlier step
- External and Internal Port numbers should be: 1195
- Select UDP
13. Hit OK
14. Repeat this step of adding another Webapp service with all of the same information, but select the TCP option
15. Ensure the Properties Window has the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” option enabled, and the correct “Home network connection” Ethernet option selected and click OK
16. You should now see “Shared” in the Status column next to your internet service option
17. Plug your AMBR into power and your laptop and allow up to 15 minutes for the laptop to successfully share internet from your internet source to your AMBR